Muscle soreness can be a natural outcome of physical activity and eating certain fruits and vegetables can also be a natural way to help relieve the discomfort by reducing inflammation. Fruits and vegetables can fuel your physical performance by providing energy before and decrease muscle soreness after your work out.
The following foods contain anti-inflammatory nutrients:
- Tomatoes. No matter how you pronounce it, this fruit is rich in vitamin C, potassium, and lycopene.
- Avocados. This trendy food is more than just a pretty topping for toast. Avocados contain carotenoids and tocopherols that reduce cancer risk and inflammation.
- Berries and apples. These fruits are rich in natural antioxidants and polyphenols, which reduce risk of disease and naturally protect the body.
- Green leafy vegetables. Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, bok choy, and collard greens are best, but rule of thumb is: the darker, the better.
- Watermelon. A slice of watermelon is a great pre-workout snack that will prevent inflammation and keep you hydrated.
Next time you are reaching for that post-workout pain reliever, opt instead for anti-inflammatory foods.
More tips found in Busy Parent Health and Fitness program