We have a full household…what we call our little neighborhood farm – that which includes a rabbit, a turtle, 2 cats, and 3 dogs, and from time to time about 3 to 4 dozen butterflies.
As dog owners – we have found them to be as picky as can be when it comes to finding a “dog food” that they all like. And even more importantly one that is healthy for them – particularly with each of them having their own medical needs that have to be addressed (allergies, etc). And if you have ever gone thru the grocery or pet store I am sure you have gotten as confused as I have with the abundant of choices available.
Naturally the healthier the food is…the most expensive it is. So you can easily see yourself spending hundreds of dollars a month – just on dog food (particularly if you have a small handful of them like we do!)
So after getting frustrated with the available choices (and the damage to our money saving pockets)….we decided to investigate on better options.
And we think we have found it…..
TRY THIS MONEY-SAVING EASY-TO-MAKE HOMEMADE DOG FOOD
And you know what???…you can eat it too!!! (but I would add a few spices and herbs before you do…just for taste)
- 2 Cups of Baby Spinach – chopped up
- 1 Carrot – shredded
- 1/2 can of peas, pour the water out before using
- 1 lb of Turkey meat
- 2 Cups of Brown Rice
- Cook all the rice in a rice cooker or how you see choose on the stove top.
- In a skillet on the stove, cook the ground turkey until browned, make sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks to piece size you choose for your pups.
- Once the turkey is done (drain excess water/fluids) from the pan. Put turkey back into pan and stir in spinach, carrots, and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, should be a couple of minutes. Just before done, add the peas just to warm up a bit and get into the mixture.
- Once done take off the stove and let it cool completely. (We sometimes even put in the fridge for a bit to let it cool a bit quicker)
- Once cooled – serve to the pups and watch them ask for more!