Beans are a part of everyday for alot of families here in the Texas and Southwest region. For those not in the know – frijoles are a variation served either soupy in broth or mashed and fried. This variation is more of the restaurant soupy style….which is also great with “chip dipping”!
FRIJOLES FOR BUSY PARENTS AND FAMILIES
- 1 pound of Pinto Beans
- 1 cup or 8 ounces of Smoked Pork Loin Chops
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 chopped onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Sort and wash pinto beans.
- Place in a large pot and cover beans with about 3 inches of water.
- Boil for one hour on high heat.
- Pour out water and refill with fresh water, again covering beans with about 3 inches of water.
- Bring to a simmer
- Add chopped onion, smoked pork chops, cilantro, tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 hours.