Omega 3’s are vital when it comes to burning fat off your body. They essentially give your body the “good” fat it needs so that your body can then burn off the “bad” fat you don’t need (or want).
Below are my top 5 favorite benefits of Omega 3’s:
1. Relief and prevention of pain and inflammation. Omega 3 fish oil fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body’s inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in “itis.”
2. Better brain function and higher intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by eating foods high in Omega 3’s and supplementing with omega 3 fish oil (Everybody wants a smart baby, right?). For adults, fish oil improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You’ll swear you’re getting younger and smarter (Wouldn’t that be nice!)
3. Uplift mood and prevent depression. Making you smarter is not all that fish oil does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield UK, along with many other research studies, found that fish oil supplements “alleviated” the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (and they even help to alleviate PMS which sometimes brings on the same symptoms of depression and psychosis).
4. Superior cardiovascular health. Fish oil’s DHA, EPA and DPA have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
5. Burn unwanted Body Fat. Omega-3 fats help you burn fat by helping your body respond better to a hormone called Leptin. Leptin tells your body (your brain) to suppress your appetite making you eat less so you can maintain or lose weight. Leptin also increases your metabolism by increasing your thyroid output and causes your body to burn fat for energy. A better response to Leptin will decrease your hunger and increase your burning metabolism. Omega 3’s also help control hunger by stabilizing your blood sugar levels. Less hungry equals portion control equals increased fat loss.
Here’s exactly how you can choose the best foods to increase your Omega 3 intake each day while on your new Fat Burning Meal Plans:
- Choose walnuts more often than other nuts as your mid morning snack.
- Include proteins such as salmon, tuna, herring, sardines, or mackerel as your protein option for lunch or dinner (on a day that calls for 4 oz of salmon, you can swap that for 4 oz of any of the other above named fish. On a day that calls for 4 oz of chicken or turkey, you can also swap that for 4 oz of any of the above named fish.)
- Sprinkle 1-2 tsps of ground flaxseeds on to your breakfast, lunch or dinner. I sprinkle ground flaxseeds on eggs, veggies and/or fruit.
If you see that you are not eating any of the above named foods on a regular basis, I highly encourage you to begin supplementing with a good Omega 3 supplement.
The one I take myself and have researched thoroughly is Prograde’s EFA Icon (and you know it takes a pretty rigorous researching process for me to take any supplement or even recommend it).
You can read more about my favorite Prograde supplements here on this page: http://methodevolution.getprograde.com