Success is your weight loss and fitness efforts are just a few habits away…
- Make It Public. People who succeed generally don’t keep their weight loss efforts to themselves. They recruit supporters. They ask for help. They swap war stories with friends. They give and take encouragement. Often a goal buddy is involved, or at least a positive, supportive friend who holds the dieter accountable. Studies show that just by writing down or announcing your goals, you automatically increase your chances of success. Keeping a Community Journal or blog is a non-threatening, productive way to make your goals public.
- Pay Attention. A permanent, healthy lifestyle is created on purpose. Planning, tracking, reading menus, asking questions, following progress reports—they’re all part of knowing what’s going on and preventing setbacks. People who are successful at losing weight don’t believe in fooling themselves or relying on chance to make things happen. They are usually (if not always) aware of the foods they eat, and on the lookout for opportunities to stay active, they know that good health is no accident. Nutrition Trackers and Fitness Planners play key roles in this strategy.
- Enjoy Themselves. They make weight loss a positive experience and have fun with it. Because they feel good about their goals and their new habits, they also feel good about themselves and what they’ve accomplished. Programs based on negative messages, dread, resignation, or criticisms are doomed to disappear. Optimists are proven to reach more goals than pessimists. They also live healthier, longer lives.
- Make Gradual Changes. Successful weight losers know that permanent change is a process, not a 21-day event. Able to see what waits on the horizon, they spend time building a few small habits at a time, rather than diving into a program that’s totally incompatible with their current lifestyle. Too much too soon is like moving to a new country and expecting to adopt the new culture and language in a week. It works much better if you simply stick around and pick up a few bits and pieces at a time.
- Allow Themselves To Fail. It’s a guaranteed certainty. Every one has failed at some point along their weight loss journey. The difference is that the successful ones learned to forgive setbacks and refused to beat themselves up. Every failure is simply one step closer to ultimate success. With this outlook, and using lessons learned along the way, they kept these setbacks from turning into full-fledged disasters. Not so mysterious, now that you know their secrets, huh? A permanent, healthy lifestyle may be closer than you think!