Crab cakes and variations of them can be used as appetizers as well as main courses – which is just one of the reasons so many people enjoy them…besides the great taste. These crab balls are no exception – and being they are made using corn flakes – add an additional variety you will definitely enjoy as well.
Oven Baked Crab Balls
- 2 1/2 cups Corn Flakes – crushes
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise (Light Mayo is an option)
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/16 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 lb Crab claw meat
- Vegetable oil spray
- In a large bowl whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, cayenne and yolks and add crab meat and salt and pepper to taste, tossing mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Form crab mixture into balls and gently coat crab cakes with cornflakes, transferring as coated to a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Chill crab cakes, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Transfer crab cakes to a large baking sheet. Spray with vegetable oil spray and bake in the middle of the oven until crisp and cooked through, about 15 minutes.